Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Homemade Hummingbird Feeder & Recipe

The other day, I was looking out the window at one of our new tube bird feeders. I didn't think about it's bright red color when I bought it. Just thought it was pretty. Well we had been really having some of the most terribly windy days recently. My old feeders were blowing in the wind, and came crashing down. Needless to say, a few new feeders were in order.

source
Unfortunately, I hadn't replaced the hummingbird feeder. I noticed a humming bird fly about the red tube feeder! The tiny feathered beauty seemed disappointed to find only seed offered.

source
Well, I knew I needed to do something. So, I looked around and found this little old salt shaker. It is one of those tiny mason jar types with the handle. I figured I would try to make one out of it. Now, how would I do it? I decided to scrape out the holes with the small point of a steak knife and make the holes a more accommodating size. Then looked around and found a piece of red button hole elastic that was cut from a pair of child jeans. I looped it through the handle. I found some red pipe cleaners with my Christmas craft supplies, and twisted three of them together and formed a few petals. Then twisted them around the neck of the jar. 


Cool! Now I need to hang it some how. I just found a wire hanger and bent it so the hook hung down to pick up the loop in the elastic... Voila! A hummingbird feeder!

So I filled it with 
Home Made Hummingbird Food:
1 part granulated sugar
4 parts boiling water, cooled.

I was happy to hang it outside and offer some food for the liking of my hummingbird visitor!
I was pleased that I found everything already on hand. I managed to get it all together rather quickly.
 The hummingbirds have been attracted to this little feeder, and it's cute as well! 
Hope you enjoyed my little story about my feeder!


Blessings,
Little Susie Home Maker


Be sure to check out the First ever
Junkin Joe's Linky Party at the Cottage Market
I am honored to be a part of this first party~

31 comments:

  1. I love humming birds that is a super creative feeder, it's great we'll awesome really. I make homemade nectar as well. Have a great 4th of July. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh humming birds are so cute and so fragile.. I like your blog design so much. You are so creative and I like to look your blog...:))
    Best best wishes.....:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did so enjoy this little story. I would love to see a hummingbird. We get Peewee's and yellow feathered honey eaters. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sweet, Hummingbirds are my most favorite little bird...though in my new garden I haven't seen many...My garden at Mom's had so many and they would come right up to my face to play in the water as I would water in the garden I would lift the hose up so they could play...your feeder is adorable...great job and good idea...happy 4th with love Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable little feeder! So simple and creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now aren't you the creative one! I just love visits from the hummers -- they are so quick.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  7. adorable and ingenious!! We had a few hummingbirds around here - but something broke the feeder :( The ants were getting into it anyway. I miss my little fluttery friends though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a creative idea! I love watching hummingbirds. They always come around my lavender, and they are just the sweetest! I am sure they love your little treat for them!! Have a great day! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. How lovely to have Hummingbirds come to visit - I have never seen one in real life! What a clever solution you came up with Susie!

    Hugs, Estelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, Susie! I like that, they would be much easier to clean than the old kind, too!
    Happy Fourth!
    Dorothy and Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hung two fuschia baskets and haven't seen any of the little darlings this year. Might have to try this too!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Talk about using what you've got!!!! This is too cute! We have a few humming birds in our yard...I think I better make them something cute like this. :)
    Great Job!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so clever. What a great idea.
    Happy 4th of July.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute idea! Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July. Have a great week!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea!! Love Hummingbirds!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clever lady to think of this. I am sure the Hummingbirds love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful, thank you for sharing. We have a couple of hummingbirds that like our petunias. this is a great project thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE hummingbirds, it is one of the birds I'm lucky to have around. This feeder and recipe is great ... something I might just need to try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh i soooooooooooooooooooooooo love this! i love love love hummingbirds -- maybe sometime you can go to my blog and read my mother's day post this year and you will see why i LOVE them!!!! thank you so much for sharing this great creation with us : ) sending tons and tons of hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love hummingbirds they are so neat and pretty! What a great idea for a feeder!! AND cute too!! :) :) Hugs, Holly

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea! I am sure you have some happy hummingbirds at your house!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very creative! I hope you will get lots of hummingbirds. Thanks for stopping by, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. The hummingbird feeder is cute. So cleaver you are.
    blessings to you

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a cool clever feeder!Great Pics !

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG I would have never thought to make one, I would have bought one for sure! Great job!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a lovely idea. There is nothing like having hummingbirds buzzing around. A few weeks ago we were scared by one buzzing back and forth on our deck. We thought he was a huge and loud bumblebee until he landed on a branch. He was the cutest little thing with a bright red band around his neck. And he even stayed awhile to show off!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Really nice idea, I love it. Humming bird are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a cute and inexpensive idea! I used what I had on hand to make one similarI covered a vitamin bottle in red fabric and cut an old red Tupperware lid into a flower shape to fit around the top. Only glitch I'm having is how to hang it since there is no handle like yours. If I tie a string around the neck of the bottle, I have to keep it full to the brim with sugar water...

    ReplyDelete

I would love for you to leave me a comment. All you need is OpenID or to sign into your Google account and you can! Thank you!

Valentine Swap 2017

 Don't you think Valentine swaps are fun? I sure do. Vivian had a nice big swap year That I signed up for and my partner was Cindy fro...